So this week I finished my first round of classes (each language course is separated into 2 three week segments, for a total of 6 weeks) and so I had my test on Thursday, and will begin my next course monday with a new instructor. I'm excited to keep learning and improving! I've been very busy lately and have either gone out or done something every day after class this past week. On Tuesday, I went and visited Farmor again in Ängelholm. I went right after class around 12:30, took the bus to the center of Lund, hopped a train, and arrived there at 2:10pm. So easy and doesn't cost a thing (because I bought that summer card at the beginning of the summer that takes me on public transportation all around Skåne as much as I want), such a good deal. So I plan on going to visit Farmor after class at least once a week; when I arrive we usually sit and talk (it's really where I learn most of my swedish, she doesn't speak english) and we have dinner together and later I take the train back around 9pm. It's nice I get to see her so much now cuz I've really missed her.
So that was Tuesday afternoon. Wednesday I went with my friend Sarah (the girl from Cal here on the program) to her swedish friend's summer house in Falsterbo after class. OK, so this friend of hers (named Ebba), Sarah met at the beginning of her stay here through a family friend connection she has back home. Ebba's a little younger (i think 18, though almost 19) and has the nicest, coolest, most wonderful swedish family ever. Oh, ya and they are freakin' LOADED. Like really wealthy. I think that's the common misconception that some people have about Sweden; that they think that because Sweden's a socialist country, and everyone lives fairly within the same means, that there's no chance of ever being rich. FALSE. Rich people in Sweden do indeed exist. While yes, there are fewer than say in the US, and the chances of becoming that wealthy are not as easy or accessible as if you lived in the US, it's still very possible. Also, one of the main differences of rich people in Sweden versus the US (keep in mind this is a generalization) is that Swedes don't flaunt their wealth. They aren't loud, and obnoxious, buying huge-ass mansions that are completely impractical, or 15 mazarattis. Nope. They keep to the stereotypical swedish persona of remaining very private and low-key. But being private does not mean that they are not warm or welcoming! Quite the opposite. This family was SO nice. I've never met them before and they said "Oh but you must come join our family bbq for dinner!" and "Oh but you must come back and stay with us here next weekend!" just sooo nice. And it was great cuz while Sarah preferred to speak english, most of the family spoke swedish with me cuz they knew I have a stronger swedish background and wanted to improve my swedish seriously.
But prior to meeting up with the family, Sarah and I decided we wanted to eat some lunch and head down to the beach to tan a bit. So we stopped by this local adorable-looking lunch place to grab a sandwich to go...this place was the CUTEST little beach restaurant. Like similar to all the high-end little eateries in Manhattan Beach. And ALL the people who were there were young, beautiful, and very nicely dressed. Hah, I turned to Sarah and was like, "Dang, it's like Tommy Hilfiger in here!" and Sarah goes, "No man, Tommy Hilfiger can't afford this shit. He's on a budget. Nawww, this is Ralph Lauren." HAHAHA I died. So funny. And she was totally right...and the beach was even more so that way. Every one was super tan, fit, young, AND rich. Time to scope out my future husband. hahaha jk. After that, and after we ate dinner with Ebba's family, we took the bus back to our apartment in Lund. Took about an hour but it was super easy to navigate. Got to bed around midnight. Perfect day:)
Yesterday (friday) my program had its first scheduled field trip out so the southeast region of Skåne. We had two stops: one at an old medieval fortress called Gimmelhus, and the second at a little swedish fish town in Österlen where we saw an old swedish stonehenge called Ales Stenar (here's the link to someone else's blog I found further describing both places with pictures; copy and paste this URL: http://alexlotz.wordpress.com/2011/07/10/gimmelhus-and-ales-stenar/ ). It was absolutely beautiful! Ales Stenar was located along the coast and it was the greenest most beautiful place ever. We were up on a ledge overlooking the ocean surrounded by hundreds of red poppys and tons of paragliders, not to mention tons of cows and sheep, haha sweden's finest. Such a wonderful trip! Today I'm headed back to Copenhagen for the night haha....did I mention I love that city?
No comments:
Post a Comment